Saturday, December 6, 2014

A Look Back



Change is big. It happens over time. Three months really isn’t enough time, in my opinion, to change all that much. Growth, however, happens gradually, and more importantly it happens with education.
At the beginning of this semester I had some vague thoughts (that I articulated here) on librarianship and LIS in general.  The first one I mentioned was an assumption that people in the library profession must have an appreciation of information, and maybe it’s just the quality of people in my classes, but I can’t say that this thought has changed.
However I also expected to see a lot more interest in preservation, and while I found like minded people these last few months have been a good reminded that librarianship is a large field with many different disciplines.
The last assumption I articulated in my original post was about library professionals being interested in sharing information. I think at the time it was the only way I could come up with to work what I have now learned is a major principle on the profession – access to information.
I’ve learned so much this semester. Possibly the most important is that this field is bigger than I could have ever imagined, and stretches itself in strange and beautiful ways to provide communities with knowledge, information, and a safe space.

No comments:

Post a Comment